Balcony fire sparked by cigarette

editorial image

Firefighters are warning smokers to be careful where they discard their cigarettes after a balcony fire in Broughton yesterday (Monday).

Crews from Broughton and Newport Pagnell were called to the incident in Oakworth Avenue, Broughton, at 2.47pm.

The cigarette had been discarded on the balcony of a flat on the first floor of a four-storey block. Crews were called after a member of staff from a business on the ground floor noticed smoke coming from the balcony above his premises.

Firefighters used a ladder to gain access, and a hose reel to put out the fire, which damaged wooden decking on the floor of the balcony.

This incident was the second in just a week that crews have been called out to deal with fires started by discarded cigarettes.

On Wednesday last week, firefighters from Bletchley, Broughton and Newport Pagnell were called to Huckleberry Close, in Walnut Tree, after a cigarette discarded in a garden started a fire which spread to a shed, a fence and the roof of a terraced bungalow.

They are advising people to use sand-filled pots as outdoor ashtrays, and to make sure that cigarettes and other smoking materials are properly extinguished.