An investigation into yesterday’s fire in Milton Keynes, which damaged a terrace of four bungalows and two garages, has confirmed that the cause is not believed to be suspicious.
Crews from Great Holm, Bletchley, Newport Pagnell, Buckingham and Aylesbury were called to Medale Road in Beanhill shortly before 6pm, along with a number of officers. At its peak, there were about 35 firefighters and officers at the scene.
The fire started in a garage and spread to a second garage and two pairs of semi-detached bungalows. The plume of smoke was visible for several miles.
One of the bungalows was unoccupied, and the occupants of the other three were able to leave their homes safely. A man was later treated for the effects of breathing in smoke. Firefighters gave him oxygen before handing him into the care of paramedics from South Central Ambulance Service.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used four jets and four hose reels to put the fire out. They started leaving the scene at about 8.30pm, and carried out a series of reinspections throughout the night and morning.
Volunteers from the British Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support Service attended in their two camper-van vehicles, based at Bletchley and Marlow Fire Stations, to provide support and advice to residents.
Today’s fire investigation by Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service and Thames Valley Police concluded that the fire was started accidentally.
If you are concerned about the risk of a fire in your home, you can book a free home safety check, with free smoke alarms fitted where needed, by ringing Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service on 01296 744477, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or visiting www.bucksfire.gov.uk/bucksfire/free