The number of people unemployed and claiming benefit is continuing to fall in Milton Keynes, according to figures published today (Wednesday).
There were 5,086 people on Job Seeekers Allowance across the borough on August 8, a drop from the figure recorded on July 11 of of 5,172.
The figure represents 3.1 per cent of the working age population and is also a drop of 1,169 people on last year.
Milton Keynes South MP Iain Stewart reckons the figures indicate that the economy is beginning to turn a corner.
He said: “More importantly Milton Keynes is still leading the way in this recovery, with increased inward investment rates and more businesses choosing to invest in jobs locally, like the 200 new jobs being created by John Lewis.”
His Conservative collegue Mark Lancaster, the MP for Milton Keynes North, said: “Combined with this week’s positive news about the re-employment of apprentices at the Wolverton Works we are starting to see an improvement both nationally and locally in our economy and these figures show that. While there is lots more to do and we should not be complacent, I am pleased that so many more people are in work and things are on the up.”