Candle warning after flat fire

Bucks Fire
Bucks Fire

Please be careful with candles.

That’s the message from Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service following a fire in a flat in Central Milton Keynes on Friday night.

Crews from Great Holm and Broughton were called to the incident in Carnegie House, Witan Gate East, at 9.41pm.

A tea light candle was left unattended on a coffee table in the living room while the occupant went out. It burnt through to the table and was starting to fill the room with smoke.

The smoke alarm and smell of burning alerted a neighbour, and firefighters were called before it got out of control.

They ventilated the flat and gave fire safety advice to the occupant when he returned.

Chris Bailey, head of Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service’s community safety team, said: “A candle flame may be small, but more than five fires a day are started in the UK by candles. It only takes a moment’s distraction for a fire to start, but the consequences can be tragic.”