Dad-of-eight who claimed his council house was ‘too cramped’ moves into house worth £425,000 in Milton Keynes

editorial image
6
Have your say

A family-of-ten who demanded a bigger, taxpayer-funded home has now moved into their dream house in Milton Keynes.

Arnold Mballe Sube and his wife Jeanne, 33, were accused of being greedy after saying their four-bed property wasn’t big enough for their eight children.

The Cameroon-born father had turned down two previous homes offered by Luton Borough Council as he said they were too small as the family could not eat together.

But after being warned that he might be making his family intentionally homeless, Arnold snapped up the final offer of an “executive” detached pad valued at £425,000.

The large four-bedroom property is believed to cost £1,200 per month in rent and consists of a master bedroom with en-suite and three further double rooms.

The house is surrounded by other detached properties with Porsches and Mercedes on a leafy cul-de-sac in Milton Keynes and was listed for sale with a guide of £400,000 to £425,000.

The property also includes a dining room, a utility room, lounge, kitchen, a drive-way big enough for two cars, an integral garage and a large back garden.

Arnold previously lived in a four-bedroom end-of-terrace home in Milton Keynes, but said the council had to provide him with a six-bedroom property.

The father, who moved to England from Paris, France, claimed he was “not greedy” but was warned by Luton Borough Council that he would be making his family homeless.

Neighbours at Arnold’s previous address said the family moved out on October 17 and multiple bags of rubbish could be seen dumped outside the home.

The third-year university student claimed his family had been “neglected” and needed a six-bedroom house as taxpayers were funding his £1,278 per month home.

The family had moved to Luton from Paris in 2012 after Arnold secured a place on a NHS funded mental health nursing course at the University of Bedfordshire.

They moved into a five-bed house in Luton and then moved to a four-bed, but were evicted as their landlord wanted to move back in.

The council then put the family up in a four-bedroom home in Milton Keynes.

Arnold is father to eldest daughter Mejane, 16, Fabian, 13, Analia, 13, ten-year-old Prosper, nine-year-old Dylan, six-year-old twins Sharon and Stacy and four-month-old Mary.

At their old home Arnold’s four daughters slept on two single bunk beds in one room and his three sons shared a single bunk bed in a separate room.

The family also had a large big flat screen TV in the lounge with a Sky HD box and the children had a TV and X-box in their bedroom with multiple games.

The final room was used as a study and stored gym equipment but Arnold claimed the house didn’t have enough storage for the ten of them.

At the time Arnold, who works part-time as a care support worker, said the search to find the right house resulted in him and his wife getting depression and anxiety.

He said: “We have developed depression, anxiety, which we were on medication for.

“My wife had to be referred to a mental health charity and she had a couple of sessions.

“My children are finding it difficult. We can’t eat as a family, we all have to eat in different parts of the house.

“There is no space for them to live a normal life.

“The area is the worst area I have ever lived in my life. This is the worst house.”