THE people convicted for this crime wrongly and unlawfully slaughtered our children.
Those were the words of Hassan Abdi Farah outside Luton Crown Court today (Friday) after two men were sentenced for the murders of his son Mohammed Farah and Mo’s friend, Amin Ismail.
Fuad Awale, 25, of no fixed abode, and Sharmake Abdulkadir, 22, of The Fleet, Springfield, were sentenced to a combined 70 years’ in jail, after being found guilty of two counts of murders yesterday following a 10-week trial.
The court case took 53 days and featured 50 witnesses.
During the trial the court heard that the shootings had taken place in a dispute over ‘drug turf’.
But – as with the family of Mr Ismail – Mr Farah denied that his son had been involved in drugs in any way.
Instead he said the 19-year-old was ‘not a drug dealer’ and was a polite and good mannered boy. He branded Awale and Abdulkadir ‘violent and merciless’ and said they should never be released.
The statement in full read: “On May 26, 2011 my son and his friend Amin Ismail were both violently and mercilessly shot. This was a planned murder and they were repeatedly shot to make sure they did not survive.
“The two people convicted for this crime have wrongly and unlawfully slaughtered our children.
“Before May 26, 2011, my family and I were happy and peaceful and had plans and inspirations for businesses, education and work. After Mohamed’s death we suffered a painful tragedy which wiped out all these plans, denied us sleep and caused us permanent anger and stress.
“Mohammed and Amin’s killers have not shown remorse. They have laughed when speaking about the evil things they have carried out and have shown no human feeling. They should never be released.
“Mo was a polite, good mannered boy who was respectful and good in education. Mo liked people and enjoyed life. He laughed and played and called everyone he met his friend.
“I am sure Mo was not a drug dealer, as it has been suggested, and I am sure he was not killed because of drugs.
“We will never forgive Mohamed’s killers and we don’t care which tribes they belong to. Murder is murder.
“The family would like to thank the Fishermead community and the wider community for assisting the police with the investigation, as well as all the witnesses who gave evidence and helped to secure these convictions.
“We would like to also thank the investigation team, Rob Mason and Mark Morton, as well as the family liaison officers Nikki Smith and Iain Roberts, for their help and support over the last 18 months.”
A third man, Yahya Harun, 22, of Fishermead Boulevard, Milton Keynes was acquitted of the murders, which happened on the night of May 26, 2011 on Fishermead.