Firefighters warn against late night cooking

Flood evacuation practice at Stoke Goldington'''Wk 10   MPMC
Flood evacuation practice at Stoke Goldington'''Wk 10 MPMC

People are being urged to be more careful when cooking when they come home late after an incident in Oldbrook on Saturday.

A crew from Great Holm Fire Station was called to a home in Hutton Avenue shortly after 7.30am when a woman noticed a smell of gas downstairs. A family friend who is staying at the house had not turned the hob off correctly after using the cooker in the early hours of the morning.

Firefighters used a fan to ventilate the house and provided gas safety and fire safety advice.

Watch Manager Frazer Lewis said: “We have been to a number of late-night kitchen fires over the years which have been caused by people falling asleep while using the oven or cooker.

“Although there was not a fire in this case, the outcome could have been serious had the householder not come downstairs until later. We are relieved that no-one came to any harm.”