A WOMAN whose basic knowledge of first aid saved her life after the motorbike she was riding plunged 40 foot over a cliff edge has published an online guide on how to deal with illness and injuries.
Barbara Cherryman almost died when the bike she was riding crashed on a Greek Island 17 years ago. At the time she was shocked at how little those who rushed to her rescue knew about first aid.
During her two year recovery process, Barbara, from Newport Pagnell, who was already an experienced first aider, decided to make it her life’s work to educate others in the skills.
She has now launched The First Aid Cabinet, an online guide aimed at helping parents, grandparents and carers deal with illness and injuries.
Subscribers have unlimited access to the site, which includes 100 minutes of first aid videos, recognition sheets and treatment sheets.
Barbara said: “The First Aid Cabinet has been designed so that parents and carers can access the information over and over again, whenever they want to, so that they can become confident, competent and ready for any emergency.
“We fully expect professional nurseries, schools and child minders to be first aid qualified, but what about members of your family or friends who may mind your child – would they know what to do in an emergency?”
The website has received the backing of paramedic and osteopath Andy Graves.
Mr Graves said: “Your actions, while waiting for a paramedic to arrive, can make all the difference to the overall outcome and well being of your child.
“I have often been handed a sick child by a parent or carer asking me to please do something because they do not know what to do.”
Speaking about the incident 17 years ago, Barbara said: “My passion is the first thing. Seventeen years ago I had a serious traffic accident. I accidently rode a motorcycle over the edge of a cliff and landed 40 feet down a mountain.
“Many people stopped to help – mainly British tourists – but not one of them knew any first aid.
“I had been a first aider for many years and was able to explain to my helpers what needed to happen. This saved my life.
“When I returned to England I was unable to work for two years – but when I was able to get back to work I decided to start teaching first aid to people. This then led on to starting and running my own business.”
Barbara’s website can be seen at http://www.firstaidonchildren.co.uk