Landlord whose tenants died in Fishermead fire jailed

Bola and Fiyin Ejifunmilayo died in a fire at the flat rented to them by Lookman Adeyemi
Bola and Fiyin Ejifunmilayo died in a fire at the flat rented to them by Lookman Adeyemi

THE landlord and registered owner of a house where a mother and her young daughter died in a fire in 2010 has been sent to prison for four months and ordered to pay £10,000 costs.

Lookman Adeyemi, 38, of Buckfast Avenue, Bletchley, appeared for sentencing this afternoon before His Honour Justice Lord Parmoor at Amersham Law Courts.

Mr Adeyemi pleaded guilty at the same court on March 8 to three counts of breaching fire safety regulations. The counts were that he placed people at risk of death or serious injury in case of fire because:

> He failed to make a suitable and sufficient assessment of risk

> He failed to ensure that, in the event of danger, it was possible for people to evacuate the premises as quickly and as safely as possible

> There were insufficient fire detectors and alarms at the premise

The case against Mr Adeyemi was brought by Buckinghamshire & Milton Keynes Fire Authority, under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, following a fire at 200, Fishermead Boulevard, Fishermead, Milton Keynes, on September 5, 2010.

Mother and daughter Bola and Fiyin Ejifunmilayo died in the fire at the flat.

Sentencing him, His Honour Justice Lord Parmoor said: “Although your failings did not cause the fire, the fact that one of your tenants and a child died is some indication of the risk run by your tenants, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

“You were not dealing with rich people. These were people, some of whom did not have a job. You were dealing with a very vulnerable clientele.”

Senior fire safety officer Chris Bailey from Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service, speaking outside the court afterwards, said: “Mr Adeyemi provided accommodation and received rent on the basis that his premises was a house in multiple occupation.

“The residents paid not only for the provision of accommodation, but also for the peace of mind that they were renting a place to live that was safe from fire. Mr Adeyemi failed in his legal duty to provide adequate fire safety arrangements at this address.

“The sentence should act as a reminder to all landlords who provide rented accommodation as part of a house in multiple occupation. They must give proper consideration to the provision of fire safety arrangements, and to the suitable management of these measures once the premises is occupied.

“Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service works closely with Milton Keynes Council and all the district councils in Buckinghamshire to provide the best standard of fire safety guidance to landlords and potential landlords.

“We brought this prosecution as it was in the interest of the public to do so. The result is testament to the professionalism and dedication of my team of fire safety officers and to all the staff of Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service, who work so hard towards the goal of making Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes the safest places in England in which to live, work and travel.”