Milton Keynes Council has apologised to bus users for not adequately publicising the closure of the city centre’s busiest passenger interchange this week.
Lower Ninth Street and part of Midsummer Boulevard next to the Point have been closed for repairs following an incident in which a 60-year-old woman suffered two broken ankles when a concrete road slab sliced through the bottom of a bus on the corner between the two streets last month.
The work, which is due to last a week, began on Sunday evening, but left bus users bewildered on Monday morning as the area remained open to the public and there were few clear signs to inform passengers they would need to walk further along Midsummer Boulevard to board buses, which were diverted down Secklow Gate and Silbury Boulevard.
The lack of information has sparked anger from the city’s Bus User Group, and also an apology from the council.
“Making progress with the much needed work on Lower Ninth Street is part of the council’s commitment to investing in its highway assets, and clearly with the high numbers of bus passengers travelling on this route we want to make their journey as comfortable and safe as possible,” a council statement said.
“We accept that the publicity given in hindsight may have been insufficient and we apologise for this – we will of course take on these lessons for similar future schemes.”
The council says posters advertising the road closures were displayed in the area and other main bus terminals in recent weeks.
The statement added: “It was also expected that barriers would be placed to block access to the shelters so A3 versions of the posters were produced to be attached to the barriers close to each shelter.
“As the barriers were not in place the contractor attached some to posts near to stops and others to the central barrier in Lower Ninth Street facing shelters.”