The tragic case of an 87-year-old widow killed in a fire after she smoked a cigarette in bed could prompt calls to improve care and safety for all OAPs.
The body of housebound Florence Palmer, was discovered at 10.30am on Tuesday, when her care worker arrived to get her up and dressed for the day.
But Mrs Palmer,allegedly unable to get out of bed unassisted, had woken earlier and lit a cigarette.
It is understood the fire smouldered in the bungalow in Furze Way, Wolverton, for a couple of hours, filling the room with smoke.
Though the smoke alarm went off, pensioners in surrounding homes did not hear.
This week Milton Keynes Council would not comment onMrs Palmer’s home care arrangements.
An inquest is due to scrutinise the case and already Age UK chiefs are hoping it will lead to improvements in the overstretched care system.
A neighbour said: “Mrs Palmer was a nice lady who enjoyed cigarettes .
“Smoking was one of her few pleasures.”