DCSIMG

Lucky escape for kids as house catches fire

editorial image

editorial image

 

Six children had a lucky escape following a kitchen fire caused by a pan of oil which had been left on the hob.

The youngsters managed to escape unharmed and join their parents who were outside tending a barbecue. No fire alarms were fitted at the property.

Firefighters from Bletchley and Great Holm who were called to the blaze in Taunton Deane, Emerson Valley, on Saturday, described the incident as “distressing”.

Watch manager Hayley Jones, from Bletchley Fire Station, said: “There were no smoke alarms in the house, so the fire was quite well established when crews arrived. It was very close to going into the roof of the ground-floor single-storey extension.

“The kitchen was very badly damaged, and there was light smoke damage to the rest of the house. Luckily the kitchen door was shut.

“It was a very distressing end to what should have been an enjoyable evening for the family and friends. Fortunately no-one was injured.”

Bucks Fire and Rescue service are now re-issuing advice on the importance of fitting smoke alarms, and of not being distracted while cooking, following the fire.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page