DCSIMG

Man rescued from flat fire after falling asleep

Flood evacuation practice at Stoke Goldington


Wk 10   MPMC

Flood evacuation practice at Stoke Goldington Wk 10 MPMC

A man was rescued from a second-floor flat fire this morning after he fell asleep while cooking.

Crews from Bletchley and Great Holm were called to the fire, at Rutland House, Bletchley, just before 6am.

Firefighters led him to safety from the smoke-filled flat before paramedics took over. A resident from the flat above, who called 999 after smelling smoke and hearing the man’s smoke alarm going off, was also treated by paramedics.

Watch Manager Chris Montague from Bletchley Fire Station, who was in charge of the incident, said: “Crews reacted very quickly to the situation and carried out a good rescue.

“This incident shows what can happen if you start cooking when you are tired or have just got back from a late night out.

“It also shows how important it is to have a working smoke alarm. The one that went off this morning was only fitted two weeks ago - before that, there wasn’t one in the flat.”

More than half of all accidental fires in the home start in the kitchen. Chris is urging people to follow this advice:

Carry out a weekly check on your smoke alarms by pushing the “test” button. If you don’t have smoke alarms, ring Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service on 01296 744477 or send an email to cs@bucksfire.gov.uk

Don’t start cooking if you are tired or have been drinking alcohol.

Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build-up of fat and grease can easily lead to a fire.

Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob. Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach to keep them safe.

Make sure saucepan handles don’t stick out – so they don’t get knocked off the stove.

Take care if you are wearing loose clothing – this can easily catch fire.

Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.

Double-check the cooker is off when you have finished cooking.

If you need to leave the kitchen while cooking, take pans off the heat or turn the heat right down to avoid risk.

Keep electrical leads and appliances away from water.

Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page