DCSIMG

Warning after 23 kitchen fires across Milton Keynes and Buckinghamshire during May

editorial image

editorial image

 

Firefighters are urging people to take extra care in the kitchen after two fires in Milton Keynes yesterday and 23 throughout the city and Buckinghamshire so far this month.

Crews from Great Holm and Broughton were called to the first of yesterday’s fires, in a flat in North Ninth Street, Central Milton Keynes, at 12.32am.

It started after a pan of cooking was left unattended.

The block of flats had to be evacuated, and the two women inside the flat were taken to hospital.

Both were suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke, and one had also burnt her hand.

The second kitchen fire yesterday took place in a flat in Bantock Close, Browns Wood, and was spotted by neighbours shortly after 2.30pm.

A ring on the electric hob had been left on, and it had set fire to some paper and started to spread.

The occupant was not in his flat at the time, and it had no working smoke alarms. Firefighters from Broughton, Bletchley and Great Holm rescued a dog, gave it oxygen and handed it into the care of a vet.

Firefighters used hose reels, breathing apparatus and fans at both fires.

Jason Thelwell, Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service’s Chief Operating Officer, said: “It only takes a moment’s distraction, such as a phone call or a knock at the door, for a fire to start in your kitchen.

“We are urging people to put safety first when they are cooking.”

> Top tips for a safe kitchen are:

Keep the oven, hob, grill and toaster clean and in good working order, and the areas around them free from clutter.

If you need to leave the kitchen while cooking, take pans off the heat or turn the heat right down to avoid risk.

Double-check the cooker is off when you have finished cooking.

Don’t start cooking if you are tired or have been drinking alcohol.

Don’t leave children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob. Keep matches, lighters and saucepan handles out of their reach.

Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob, and take care if you are wearing loose clothing.

Keep electrical leads and appliances away from water.

Don’t put anything metal in your microwave oven, and please take care when setting the timer.

Carry out a weekly check on your smoke alarms by pushing the “test” button. If you don’t have smoke alarms, ring Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service on 01296 744477 or send an email to cs@bucksfire.gov.uk

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page