Man taken to hospital after flat fire

Bucks Fire
Bucks Fire

A man was taken to hospital this morning after a fire at his flat in Neath Hill.

It started when candles were left burning unattended in the bathroom.

Crews from Broughton and Great Holm were called to the flat, in Brownbaker Court, Neath Hill, shortly before 6am.

Although the man was able to leave the building after discovering the fire, he had to be treated for the effects of breathing in smoke.

Watch Manager Andy Vernon from Broughton Fire Station said: “It was lucky that he discovered the fire when he did, because although there was a smoke alarm in the flat, it wasn’t working because the battery was missing.

“It is very important to have working smoke alarms in your home, and to test them once a week.”

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus put out the fire with a hose reel, and cleared smoke from the flat with a large fan.

Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service can arrange for a free home safety check to be carried out at your home, with free smoke detectors fitted where they are needed.

Anyone interested in this service should contact 01296 744477 or send an email to cs@bucksfire.gov.uk

Firefighters are reminding people to be careful with candles – more than five fires a day are started in the UK by candles, and the consequences can be tragic.