A motorist who was doused in petrol as he filled his car has called for a full safety inspection at the service station.
Brian Bollen was filling up his Jaguar XJ6 at the Texaco garage in Portway on Friday, March 21, when the fuel gushed out dousing him in the highly flammable liquid.
Shocked, he requested assistance from staff at the station and insisted they call the fire service.
Mr Bollen, 57, of Ebbsgrove, Loughton, said it was only as he spoke to the staff that he realised how dangerous the situation was and he urged his wife Margaret to leave the car and join him inside.
He added: “I think the pump I used must be faulty, as it did not click off automatically but kept on pumping when the tank was full, the excess washing over me. My clothes are ruined; after three washes they still reek of petrol.”
He said he was unhappy at the seeming reluctance of the petrol station staff to take action and said they appeared to speak little English and looked unsure as to how to respond.
A spokesman for Bucks Fire and Rescue Service said: “He had been splashed with a significant amount of petrol as it gushed out when he was filling his car.
“The petrol station was closed while our firefighters dealt with the incident.
“They used absorbent pads to clear up the petrol and gave the gentleman a bag to put his clothes in as well as a Disrobe clothing pack which contained clothing for him to change into.”
Sailesh Sejpal, managing director of Platinum Retail Limited which owns the petrol station, said: “I am waiting on all of the information from investigations to come back. We have had the fire brigade come and check the equipment, a local authority officer has visited and a pump engineer has checked the pump in question. All the reports thus far say there was nothing wrong with the pump.
“I will wait for all of the information to come back before deciding the appropriate course of action.”