Neighbour spots house fire caused by mirror

FIRE.

FIRE.

0
Have your say

An eagle-eyed neighbour helped spot a house fire caused by sunlight reflecting off a mirror yesterday night.

Sunlight reflected off the mirror and set fire to a bedroom curtain at a house in Severn Way, Bletchley. Crews from Bletchley and Great Holm were called to the fire, just before 7pm. There was no-one in the house at the time, but the fire was spotted by a neighbour.

Firefighters put out the fire and cleared away the smoke.

Nationally, a number of house fires - including some that have destroyed homes - have been caused by the effects of sunlight on make-up and shaving mirrors or decorative “bottle effect” windows.

Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service has been called to five of these fires – four in Milton Keynes and one in Chalfont St Peter – over the past

three years.

Neil Boustred, who heads Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service’s community safety team, said: “We are advising people to take extra care, particularly with mirrors which have a magnified side. Keep them out of contact with direct sunlight, and never put them on window sills.”

If you would like a free assessment of the fire risks in your home, and free smoke alarms where necessary, ring the home safety check hotline on 01296 744477, email cs@bucksfire.gov.uk or visit www.bucksfire.gov.uk/free