Neighbours rescue a woman from fire

Fire Service job cuts
Fire Service job cuts

Brave neighbours rescued a woman from a fire yesterday morning.

They pitched a ladder to her bedroom window and helped her to safety after she was trapped on the top floor of her three-storey home and woke them with her shouts for help. She was alerted to the fire by a working smoke alarm on the middle floor.

Firefighters from Great Holm, Bletchley and Broughton were called to the fire at the terraced house in Shearmans, Fullers Slade, at 2.45am.

Area Manager Mick Osborne, from Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service, said: “This was a remarkable act of bravery by her neighbours, and another reminder of the vital importance of smoke alarms.

“Upon arrival, crews were faced with a well-developed fire on the first and second floors. The staircase at these levels had been destroyed by the fire.

“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property to fight the fire and carry out a search of the premises using a thermal imaging camera.

“The fire was completely under control by 5.30am and crews remained on scene for a considerable time afterwards, damping down and checking there had been no further spread of fire to adjacent properties.

“The attending crews did an excellent job in bringing the fire under control and ensuring there was minimal damage to the houses either side in very difficult and challenging circumstances.”

Firefighters started to leave the scene at about 6am, with relief crews from Newport Pagnell and Bletchley taking over. A reinspection was carried out at 11.30am.

Volunteers from the British Red Cross attended the incident at about 5.30am in their Fire and Emergency Support Service vehicle, based at Bletchley Fire Station, to provide support and advice to residents.