One star report is food for thought

Aftermath of a fire at the Swan Inn, Broughton Road, Milton Keynes Village.
Aftermath of a fire at the Swan Inn, Broughton Road, Milton Keynes Village.

A PUB landlord is urging customers not to be put of by his one star health and safety report.

Steve Wilkins, owner of the Swan Inn in Milton Keynes Village, has spent much of the last year repairing and refurbishing after a fire in December 2011 almost destroyed the entire pub.

But health and safety inspectors didn’t have a problem with the hygiene of the pub, instead highlighting some of the management systems they felt could be improved. This warranted the one star rating.

A council spokesman said: “Regulatory Services confirmed that they’ve been given a 1 star rating. However this is due to work needed on their management systems not the hygiene side of things.

“Once they have made the improvements they are able to be inspected again which could result in a higher rating.”

Mr Wilkins said that in trying to get the pub back open again, some aspects of the business fell through the cracks and insisted they were working quickly to get it back on track.

He said: “It was brought to our attention that our internal management systems were not satisfactorily robust. While the necessary systems were in place, they were not being sufficiently practised; this has been rectified.

“I’d like to stress that the report in no way highlighted any concerns over the Swan Inn’s hygiene and cleanliness.

“Our focus has very much been on the challenge of restoring the Swan Inn following the devastating fire it experienced in December 2011, and we fully accept the inspector’s comments.

“We are now working very closely with the environmental health inspector to ensure that our procedures are fully compliant and anticipate being regraded back to the rating our customers would expect from us in the near future.”