A DEVASTATING fire has destroyed most of the Swan Inn at Milton Keynes Village, but the restaurant is in tact.
Around 40 firefighters tackled the blaze on Wednesday night as the fought to save the 800 year old pub.
An investigation into the fire’s cause was launched this morning , and it is believed that a single spark from the chimney set fire to the thatched roof.
Fire Station Manager Paul Harrison, the incident commander at the scene, said 100 per cent of the thatched roof and about 60 per cent of the ground and first floors were involved in the fire.
However, the brave fire crews were able to prevent the fire spreading into the single-storey restaurant extension. It is not yet clear whether the restaurant will reopen before the new year, but pubs in the surrounding area are already taking Christmas bookings for those previously booked into the Swan,
CLICK HERE for a gallery of photos taken by Will Perrin at the scene on Wednesday night.