Suicidal pervert’s sentence reduced

editorial image
0
Have your say

A HANDYMAN who was jailed indefinitely for a series of horrific sex attacks on a little girl had his minimum term slashed by top judges in London.

Giorgio Flammia, 58, of Larkspur Avenue, Conniburrow, had already served time in jail for previous child sex crimes when he subjected the nine-year-old to five sexual attacks.

In October last year, he was jailed for at least six years at Peterborough Crown Court after admitting three sexual assaults and two assaults by penetration.

But three senior judges at the Court of Appeal on Tuesday said the six-year minimum was too long and slashed it by a year to allow Flammia an earlier chance of parole.

Mr Justice Wilkie told the court Flammia went on-the-run for a short time after he learned that his victim had spoken to her mother about what he had done.

The girl said he had offered her money after the explicit sexual assaults.

When he was found by police, Flammia, who had earlier threatened suicide, was sitting in his car with a knife and cuts around his wrists.

“I touched that young girl,” he told the officers. “I’m disgusting.”

Sentencing him in October, the crown court judge said he considered Flammia posed such a danger to children that he had to be locked up indefinitely.

He would have to serve at least six years before he could even apply to the Parole Board for release back into the community on licence.

Giving the appeal judgment, Mr Justice Wilkie, sitting with Lord Justice Elias and Mr Justice Lloyd Jones, said the minimum term was too long and cut it to five years.

Flammia will only be freed after serving his five-year minimum if he can convince the Parole Board he is no longer a danger to children.