The fight for justice for Ken’s two sons goes on

Ken Spooner'''Wk 50 MPMC
Ken Spooner'''Wk 50 MPMC
0
Have your say

IT has been two and a half years since Devlan and Caelan Spooner were taken to Zambia – away from their dad and from the town they grew up in.

And it has been almost 12 months since the Citizen launched its Justice For Ken campaign, in a bid to help Ken Spooner bring his sons back home to Milton Keynes. It organised a petition which was supported and signed by 500 readers and backed by MP Mark Lancaster who last week presented it to the House of Commons.

The petition urges the Government ‘to take all possible steps to ensure that the High Court Order in the case of Devlan and Caelan is enforced’ on behalf of dad Ken Spooner.

Mr Lancaster,MP for MK North, said: “I was delighted to present the petition to the Government on behalf of all the people who are backing Ken’s brave campaign to get his children back.

“I hope that this, the voices of hundreds of people, will continue to put pressure on the authorities to

ensure that justice is done.”

Mr Spooner said he was pleased to have the support of his MP and thanked everyone who signed the petition to bring his boys home.

He also expressed his hope in seeing his boys back in the UK again soon.

He said: “I am very grateful to Mark Lancaster for putting in the petition into Parliament, and to

Craig and all the MK Citizen team for making it possible.

“I am also very humbled at the overwhelming support shown tome by those who signed the petition, as well as those supporting the campaign on the Citizen’s Facebook group ‘Justice for Ken.’

“Every day is a step closer to being reunited with my boys, and perhaps now the British Government involvement will pave the way forward formy children’s repatriation. ”

And it has certainly been a turbulent ride. In October 2008, Mr Spooner agreed to let his children go on a family holiday with their mother, Zanetta Nyendwa, though the trio never returned.

Since then, Mr Spooner, 47 , has spent more than £150,000 in travel and legal fees to bring the boys

home. He has been in and out of courts in Zambia. He was even accused of attempting to re-abduct

his two sons, aged three and five, with the help of a housekeeper – claims that were later found to be

false.

Mr Spooner has called on the British Government to intervene in his case, and even managed to obtain a High Court Order to make the boys ‘Wards of the English Court.’

But the Zambian Supreme Court ruled that the English Order has no jurisdiction in their country, and the boys remain there.

Mr Spooner said his every waking hour is spent working to raise the money he needs to get back to

Zambia to fight for his children. He also hopes that he will be given permission to see the children on their birthdays.

“All I seem to do these days is work work work, just to be able to continue with the legal battles” he said.

“I’m really missing my kids so that’s where my focus is right now.

“I will probably travel to Zambia in the next few weeks, so long as I have earned enough money for the flights.

“Both their birthdays are in June and I very much hope that I am allowed some time with them so that I can give them their presents, hugs and much love.”

There are now a number of key dates coming up for Ken.

On July 1, the Zambian courts decide whether the English Wardship Order is valid, while another ruling for custody will be heard on August 8.