A TEACHER and a six year-old boy have been seriously injured in a mysterious explosion at Hazeley Acadamy’s science lab while the school was officially closed today (Wednesday).
Fire, police and paramedics rushed to the Emperor Drive school just after 1pm. A total of six fire services vehicles were at the scene.
“Because of the high risk nature of a fire in a school science lab, we went prepared for anything,” said a spokesman for Bucks Fire & Rescue.
They found one adult and one child already injured. The adult, understood to be a teacher, was taken to hospital by air ambulance.
It is understood the injuries were a combination of burns and the inhalation of potentially noxious gasses.
Firefighters used breathing apparatus, giant fans and thermal imaging cameras to disperse the gasses. The explosion was caused by a mixture of toxic methanol.
Afterwards the school confirmed its sixth form had been open as usual that day.
But they remained tight-lipped about the cause of the explosion, which they refer to as an “isolated incident”.