Young pupils evacuated after their school roof catches fire

Russell Street School, Stony Stratford

Russell Street School, Stony Stratford

0
Have your say

CHILDREN at a Stony Stratford School have been praised for staying calm and sensible after a fire broke out in a classroom roof – in an old bird’s nest.

Builders were working with a blow torch above the Russell Street school music room when the nest suddenly caught fire on Wednesday morning.

The workmen used fire extinguishers and put most of the flames out before fire engines arrived.

“We had to evacuate the entire school, including the nursery, as a precaution,” said a spokesman for the infants school.

“The children were wonderful. To them it was a great adventure but they acted very sensibly. We were proud of them.”

The pupils were taken to play in the field at nearby St Mary and St Giles School while firefighters carried out safety checks.

“They returned to see fire engines in the playground, which was very exciting for them,” said the spokesman.

Russell Street has more than 200 pupils aged between three and seven years old.

The youngest pupils were spending their first full day at school on Wednesday, said the spokesman.

“I just hope they don’t expect a visit from friendly firemen every day now,” said the spokesman.

Three fire engines from Newport Pagnell, Bletchley and Broughton attended the fire.

Firefighters used a hose reel, extension ladders and a thermal imaging camera to check the fire was fully extinguished before the children were allowed back in the building.