Local football: Double defeat for Swans

editorial image
Have your say

IT has been a week to forget for Newport Pagnell Town as they suffered two defeats in three days on home soil.

On Saturday, the Swans hosted Deeping Rangers at Willen Road but no-one was prepared for what they were about to see unfold in front of them.

Starting the day below Newport in the table, Rangers had the upper hand almost immediately and took the lead after just five minutes. But it got worse.

Three minutes later, Deeping doubled the lead courtesy of an Alex Beck strike.

Things went from bad to worse 14 minutes in when Ash Stevens made it 3-0 to Rangers before he got the last touch on Chris Logan’s cross to net another on 17 minutes.

Newport started to claw their way back into the game and pulled a goal back 10 minutes before the break when Sam Maude punished some poor Rangers play, planting the ball in the Rangers net, from 30 yards.

Deeping added a fifth on the hour mark through Beck again before he completed his hat-trick on 73 minutes.

Joel McCormick pulled one back for Swans before Beck added his fourth and fifth of the afternoon, completing the 8-2 rout.

The result saw Newport slip back down to sixth place in the United Counties Premier League, leapfrogged by Deeping who have played an extra game.

Putting the defeat to the back of their minds, Newport went into Tuesday night’s Berks & Bucks Senior Cup game against Binfield keen to bounce back.

But it didn’t happen. Two Carl Davies strikes, one after seven minutes and another with two minutes to go, ended their cup dreams for another year as the Moles progressed to the second round.

Long Buckby are next up for the Swans on Saturday as they look to get back on form.

Olney climbed the Division 1 table thanks to a win and a draw from their last two games.

Saturday’s 1-1 draw away at Rothwell gave them good momentum going into Tuesday night’s crunch game with Potton United.

And it certainly paid off as they won 4-3 to climb to 14th in the table.

New Bradwell St Peter remain rooted to the bottom of the South Midlands League Division 1 after losing 2-1 to Sun Postal Sports on Saturday, despite Ross Peters giving the home side the lead in the first half.

And Stony Stratford could only manage a 3-3 draw against Kentish Town and sit 12th.


CITY Colts missed out on the chance to move up the Premier Division table after their game against Silverstone was postponed.

With leaders Great Horwood suffering a rare slip up against Southcott Village, losing 4-3, Potterspury couldn’t take advantage and could only draw 1-1 against Brackley Sports. A local derby between MK Titans and Loughton Manor saw Titans lift themselves away from the danger zone with a 2-1 win, while Loughton remain in the middle of the pack. Great Linford and Stewkley shared a 2-2 draw and Grendon Rangers beat Yardley Gobion 1-0.

With Intermediate Division leaders Bow Brickhill not playing, Wicken Sports took full advantage to go level on points at the top thanks to a 3-0 win over Brackley Sports Reserves. Deanshanger Athletic and City Colts Reserves battled hard for a 3-3 draw, Denbigh Hall Sports & Social lost 3-1 to Grendon Rangers Reserves, and Potterspury Reserves lost to Hanslope by the odd goal in seven.

Bow Brickhill Reserves kept up their 100 per cent start in Division 1 with a 4-2 win over Southcott Village Reserves, while Great Linford Reserves beat Woughton 2-1 to go third. Bottom club Bletchley Bridge were hammered 7-1 by Cage Athletic.

Comet MK jumped up to second in Division 2 with a comfortable 4-0 win over Steeple Claydon. Great Horwood Reserves went top with their 5-3 win over Padbury Village Reserves, Yardley Gobion Reserves were on the wrong end of a 5-0 thumping, Wing Village prevailed 3-2 over Hanslope Reserves, and Marsh Gibbon Reserves were 4-2 winners against Westbury.


ONLY three games went ahead in the Premier League, and AFC Santander took full advantage to close to Willen at the gap at the top of the pile.

AFC Padbury were on the other end of the 5-1 hammering as Santander moved into second place, and Olney were 3-2 winners against Wolvy Town to make it even tighter at the top. It was a great day for Stony Stratford too as they ran riot against Stoke Hammond, hammering them 9-3.

In the Berks & Bucks Junior Cup second round, AFC Manor Fields beat Stantonbury Social 9-1, Coachmakers Arms won 6-1 against Sportsmans Arms, FC MMIX won 2-2 against Pond Park Rangers, MK United lost 6-4 to Punjab United, New Bradwell 2012 were 6-1 winners over Weston Turville, New City Saints progressed past Misty Moon and the OU beat Pioneer 3-1.

In Division 2, Bletchley Wanderers thumped Santander B 7-1, Stacey Bushes lost 4-0 at home to Swanfica, IDW lost 3-2 to Soutcott Village, and RJ Fitness came out on top against Inter Faith, winning 3-2.