A new ‘fair fee’ will be agreed for sheltered housing warden service, promise councillors

Councillor Nigel Long
Councillor Nigel Long

Sheltered housing residents are this week being consulted about paying a “fair charge” for their newly-salvaged warden service.

Instead of scrapping the service to save cash, the council is now proposing a unified fee for all for help towards the costs.

For many years the warden charge has been £18 a week. But only 23 per cent of residents in sheltered housing pay this. The remaining 77 per cent are exempt because their rent is covered by housing benefit.

“We are consulting residents on what would be fair. Most agree it is only right that they pay something, and we would consider a hardship fund for those in need, “ said councillor Nigel Long.