Amazon worker killed by a single punch

A Milton Keynes Amazon worker who had been flirting with a barmaid at a nightclub was killed by a single punch from her boyfriend, a jury heard.

Thursday, 7th April 2016, 10:29 am
Updated Thursday, 7th April 2016, 10:31 am

Tomas Juska, 24, was “poleaxed” by Cortney Batchelor, who had allegedly said: “I am going to smash him.”

The Lithuanian man suffered a lethal brain injury and died the following day, Luton Crown Court was told.

Mr Batchelor, now 22, pleads not guilty to manslaughter, saying he acted in self-defence.

Prosecutor Michael Speak said Mr Juska and his Amazon work colleagues were having a night out at Club Cookies in Dunstable in August last year.

Mr Batchelor, who did not know Mr Juska, was in the club with friends while his girlfriend Sarah Haynes was working behind the bar.

Mr Speak said Mr Juska had a fair amount to drink and had no idea that Sarah Haynes was the defendant’s girlfriend.

He said: “Mr Juska took an interest in Sarah Haynes and flirted with her. It seems Mr Batchelor was nearby and noticed he was paying attention to her. He took exception and did not want Mr Juska flirting with his girlfriend. It annoyed him.”

Mr Juska was seen to give Ms Haynes his phone number.

Door staff noticed there was ‘friction’ between the two men and, as a result, Mr Juska was told to leave. A minute later Mr Batchelor also left.

The door staff could see Mr Juska was still outside and they tried to get the defendant to leave the area.

Mr Batchelor was heard to call Mr Juska a “Dickhead” and said: “I am going to smash him.”

When the door staff went to deal with another incident, Mr Batchelor confronted Mr Juska.

Mr Speak said: “The defendant took the opportunity to confront Mr Juska.

“He was not looking for a fight and was forced into it. His hands were at his sides.”

Mr Juska hit him to the left side of his face, hard enough to knock him over, the jury heard.

Mr Speak said: “Some felt the blow had been so hard that he wasn’t conscious as he fell. He was poleaxed.

“The tragedy is that Mr Juska hit the back of his head on the ground and that impact caused him to sustain a lethal brain injury from which he never recovered and he died the following day.”

The case continues.