Attempted murder trial: ‘You are taking ages to die’

Breaking news
Breaking news

An alcoholic accused of repeatedly stabbing his landlord is alleged to have told him to “hurry up and die.”

Michael Davies, 60, is said to have sat calmly at a table watching Vic Smith lying in pool of blood, telling him: “You are a strong man. You are taking ages to die.”

In the end Davies used the victim’s own mobile phone to call for an ambulance and, after surgery, 57-year-old Mr Smith survived the attack, Luton crown court heard on Tuesday.

Prosecutor Michael Speak said the two men had known each other for six or seven years, but had fallen out.

Six months before the stabbing the men had “patched up” their differences and, for a couple of months, Vic Smith had let Michael Davies sleep on the sofa at his one-bed flat in Duncombe Street, Bletchley, as he had nowhere else to stay.

He told the jury of 9 women and 3 men that on the afternoon before the stabbing Michael Davies gave Vic £40 towards his bills and then went out to visit a woman called Shirley Newman.

Vic Smith himself went to the Post Office club at 5.30, before going on to a Working Men’s Club, where he played pool and won his match.

At a quarter to midnight Mr Smith went home and allegedly found the defendant, already at home. He remembers the defendant saying strange things but could not recall much after that, except that when he came round in the early hours of 20 August last year, he had been stabbed multiple times.

Mr Speak said: “”He woke up in a pool of blood with life-threatening stab wounds. One stab punctured his lung and he could hear air escaping from his body.

“He looked up and saw the defendant sitting calmly at the table, just staring at him.

“The defendant made chilling remarks: ‘Hurry up and die.’ Mr Smith replied: ‘Mick help me - phone an ambulance.’ He replied: ‘You are a strong man you are taking ages to die. I don’t know whether to slit your throat now or call an ambulance.’ Having considered the two options, mercifully he called the ambulance on Mr Smith’s own phone.”

Mr Speak said the defendant had also said: “Shirley is next” - referring to the friend he had visited earlier.

When the ambulance crew arrived, the victim was found to have five puncture wounds and to have been severely beaten about the face. He had a fractured eye socket and severe bruising. Mr Smith was taken to hospital locally and then transferred to a specialist unit at the John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford.

The police arrived and Davies told them he came home to find Vic on the floor with blood everywhere. The defendant had blood on his hands and his knuckles were allegedly swollen. He said he smashed his hands into the wall because he should have been there. “He was pretending,” said Mr Speak.

When questioned, Davies told the police he was an alcoholic, saying he found Vic on the floor when he came home.

Davies, of no fixed address, pleads not guilty to attempting to murder Mr Smith and an alternative charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

Case proceeding.