BBQ fire on balcony among series of callouts for Milton Keynes' firefighters this Bank Holiday

Firefighters extinguished the fire before it could spread to other apartments in the block.

Tuesday, 6th April 2021, 12:11 pm
Updated Tuesday, 6th April 2021, 12:12 pm

On Easter Sunday (April 4) Bucks Fire and Rescue Service put out a fire on a balcony on Weybourne Road in Broughton.

The incident was reported at around 2pm it was started when the flames from a disposable barbeque grew out-of-control.

Two crews extinguish the flaming BBQ using a hose reel and a ladder.

Firefighters extinguished three dangerous objects across the Easter Bank Holiday

A spokesperson for the Bucks Fire and Rescue Service said: "Fortunately this fire was put out before it had a chance to spread to neighbouring balconies or flats, but not using a barbecue on a balcony is one of our barbecue safety tips."

Yesterday evening (April 5), Milton Keynes firefighters put out a fire which had spread to a ground floor apartment roof.

This incident was reported at around 5:30pm on Silver Street in Newport Pagnell.

The fire was started by flaming rubbish and had also affected cladding on the property.

Two crews attended using one hose reel, a ladder and a thermal imaging camera.

Another Bank Holiday Monday incident involved firefighters using a hose to put out a fire in a skip on Atkinson Way in Magna Park.

A hedge caught fire on Mill Road at around 1am, authorities report that it was initially believed to be a canal boat on fire. Two crews and a police officer attended, with the firefighters using water backpacks and buckets of water to quell the flames.

A spokesperson for the Bucks Fire and Rescue Service listed further advice on how to safely use barbecues:

"Make sure your barbecue is sited well away from sheds, fences, trees, shrubs or garden waste.

"Keep children, pets and garden games away from the cooking area.

"Use enough charcoal to cover the base of the barbecue, but not more.

"Follow the safety instructions provided with disposable barbecues.

"Do not use a barbecue indoors.

"Do not leave a lit barbecue unattended.

"Always keep a bucket of water, sand or a garden hose nearby for emergencies.

"Enjoy yourself, but do not drink too much alcohol if you are in charge of the barbecue.

"After cooking, make sure the barbecue is cool before moving it.

"Empty ashes on to bare garden soil, not into dustbins or wheelie bins. Hot ash can melt a plastic bin or cause a fire."