Be safe - don’t overload your wall sockets like this

mpmc overloaded plug socket
mpmc overloaded plug socket
Share this article

Firefighters found this dangerously overloaded 13-amp wall socket when they were carrying out one of their free safety checks this week.

Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes Fire and Rescue Service took this photograph with a homeowner’s permission, a classic example of an unnecessary fire hazard.

Three adaptors were connected to each other, and 14 electrical items were plugged in.

A fire service spokesman said: “Most people have extension leads in their homes, using adaptors to increase the number of appliances that they can plug into a wall socket. Although there is space to plug in several appliances, this does not mean it is always safe to do so. Different electrical appliances use different amounts of power.

“High-current appliances include kettles, hairdryers, irons, dishwashers and heaters. Low-current appliances include televisions, computers, hi-fis and radios.

“To avoid the risk of overheating and possibly fire, an extension lead or socket should never have appliances that together use more than 13 amps or 3,000 watts of energy plugged into it.”