A former restaurant proprietor has been banned from running a food business after pleading guilty to hygiene offences.
Gener Shetty Sangappa, of Carnegie House, Witan Gate, was prosecuted by St Albans City and District Council for several offences at the Samoji restaurant in St Albans, which closed in January.
The 40-year-old was sentenced by West Hertfordshire Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday (October 7) after pleading guilty to ten offences.
In addition to the ban, Mr Sangappa was ordered to undertake 180 hours of unpaid community work, given an order to contribute £1,000 towards the council’s legal costs, and told to pay a victim surcharge of £60.
The offences included three counts of obstructing a council officer contrary to Section 33(1) Food Safety Act 1990. The defendant posed as a Mr Shanker Pande and gave false information about his address, his position in the business and the position of the dissolved company.
Mr Sangappa also failed to comply with six Hygiene Improvement Notices. These related to various hygiene issues such as raw food being stored next to and above ready-to-eat food, food handler staff demonstrating a lack of food hygiene knowledge, and rusted, burnt and dirty microwaves.
Councillor Daniel Chichester-Miles, portfolio holder for the environment for St Albans City and District Council, said: “The council regularly inspects food businesses across the District to check whether they are complying with food safety and hygiene regulations. Where breaches are found, we will take action by first issuing hygiene improvement notices. If these are ignored we will prosecute for failure to improve the hygiene of the premises and failure to put in place food safety measures.”