Fishermead shooting accused tells Jury of ‘shock’ at double killing

Floral tributes left at the scene for Mohammed Abdi Farah and Amin Ahmed Ismail after they were shot dead in Fishermead
Floral tributes left at the scene for Mohammed Abdi Farah and Amin Ahmed Ismail after they were shot dead in Fishermead

A MAN accused of the murder of two teenagers who were gunned down in an alleyway in Fishermead told a jury he saw a co-defendant carry out the killings.

Sharmake Abdulkadir, 22, said he was “in shock” after seeing Fual Awale shoot the two boys, but told Luton Crown Court he was not carrying a gun and was not involved in the killings.

The court had previously heard that Mohammed Abdi Farah, 19, and Amin Ahmed Ismail, 18, were killed in a dispute over “drug turf” after Farah had handed out Awale’s cannabis for free.

The boys, who like the three defendants are of Somali origin, were shot in the head after a confrontation with five others just after 10pm on May 26 last year.

Giving evidencel, Abdulkadir said: “The two boys came along an alleyway. They were walking in the direction of Fishermead.

“Awale walked over to them and said: ‘Where’s my weed?’ Mo Farah said: ‘Brother I don’t have your weed.’

“Awale was aggressive. He wanted his stuff back. He pulled the gun out and shot Amin. I didn’t know he had a gun.

“Amin said ‘Go on your knees’ to Mo. He did not and he shot him too. Mo was saying: ‘Please brother please.’ Mo fell to the floor.”

Abdulkadir, who said he was in shock, said Awale told him and the others to walk slowly from the alleyway. They stopped near the school and he said Awale said: “Say anything and I will kill you.”

He said Awale then ran back to where the boys were. There, the prosecution allege, he shot Amin a second time.

Mohammed was pronounced dead at the scene. Amin was taken to hospital and pronounced dead after all attempts to save his life failed.

When he gave evidence earlier Awale, 25, denied he was a drug dealer. He said he had become friends with Mo Farah and did not know Amin.

Awale then told the jury that Abdulkadir and the other defendant Yahya Harun, 22, were both drug dealers. He said Harun sold weed – cannabis – and crack cocaine in Fishermead and Springfield and Abdulkadir sold weed, heroin and crack cocaine in Springfield, Conniburrow and Fishermead.

He said that in May 2011, at the request of Abdulkadir, he had hired a car to go to Holland, where the gun that killed the teenagers was allegedly bought.

He said: “He paid for the petrol and food. He took me to stay at a friend’s house. He asked me because he was going to see his father and I like to drive. It was like a vacation.”

Awale, 25, of no fixed address, Abdulkadir, 22, of The Fleet, Springfield, Milton Keynes, and Harun, 22, of Fishermead Boulevard, Milton Keynes, deny two charges of murder carried out with two other people unknown.

Abdulkadir also denies possession of a firearm with intent to commit an indictable offence.

The case continues.