Former ‘text pest’ PC could be jailed

Mark Wilkie
Mark Wilkie

A FORMER policeman who became a text and phone pest after obtaining women’s details off the national police computer has been warned he could face jail.

Mark Wilkie, 51, of Leary Crescent, Newport Pagnell, sent explicit text messages to a string of women, some of whom had been victims of crime and all had been classed as vulnerable.

Appearing at Cambridge Crown Court on Friday the judge heard how Wilkie had sent indecent or malicious texts and calls to a total of 12 women.

The court also heard how the women said that they felt as if they were being watched although there was no evidence of that happening.

However, Isabel Delamere, prosecuting, said that the contents of the messages seemed to show “a degree of knowledge about the ladies”.

The court also heard that the offences coincided with the breakdown of Wilkie’s marriage but his defence lawyer, commenting on why Wilkie committed the offences, said: “It’s something of a mystery.”

Judge Gareth Hawkesworth released Wilkie on police bail, adjourning sentencing until October 17.

However, he warned him that this was not an indication of the likely outcome.

He told Wilkie: “You must expect from this type of conduct a likelihood of an immediate term of imprisonment.”

Wilkie admitted 12 offences of misconduct in public office between May 1, 2008, and September 26 last year as well as the theft of a mobile phone.

It was claimed that while he was still working as a police constable he used the police computer systems to access and verify details of women he was then sending malicious or indecent texts or phone calls to.

The theft of the mobile phone, from Mark Bewler, took place between July 17 and 20 last year.

Before opening its case the prosecution accepted Wilkie did not use the police computer in order to get details of each woman. Miss Delamare said: Sometimes he had them before.

He used it to either check it or for some other purpose.” She also added that some of the calls were silent.

Hector Maclean-Watt defending, said it was not accepted that all the calls made were indecent and Wilkie did not physically follow them up. He said: “It’s purely what he does on the phone.”

Wilkie, who had worked for years as a police officer in Leighton Buzzard, has resigned from the force.