Did somebody sabotage a Milton Keynes parrot's treat with a piece of broken GLASS?
A male parrot called Polly bit off more than he could chew when a large piece of GLASS was found embedded in his favourite treat.
The hanging bell-shaped seed and nut snack was bought by Polly’s owner Yvonne Meally at Pets at Home for 99p.
It was manufactured in Derby by Pet’s Menu Ltd, who say there is no glass at all on their premises.
The company this week said it could not rule out the possibility that the snack was “sabotaged” after it left their factory.
Mrs Meally also fears a bird-hating maniac could be responsible.
She said: “There’s some crazy people out there, and parrots love these treats.”
She put the seed bell in Polly’s cage at their Bletchley home and left him to peck away at it.
“Later I noticed something shiny sticking out from the centre,” she said.
“I looked more closely and realised it was a piece of glass almost an inch long and really sharp. There were tiny jagged bits at the top of the glass where Polly had pecked it. I was worried sick he’d swallowed some and it would damage his insides.”
Mrs Meally, 68, contacted Pet’s Menu, who carried out an investigation.
A spokesman said: “Our checking process is rigorous and there is no glass here. Our seed is of the highest quality and arrives in sealed units.
“Our hygiene and checking processes are probably the most rigorous you will ever see in the pet food industry. We have no idea how the alleged glass got inside this treat.
“At this stage we cannot rule out deliberate sabotage.”