Faulty electric fan causes major shop fire in MK

Thirty firefighters rushed to a fire in a Rooksley store caused by a faulty electric fan in the early hours of this morning.

Thursday, 21st July 2016, 3:36 pm
Updated Thursday, 21st July 2016, 4:38 pm
Fire & Rescue Stock

The Go Outdoors shop suffered 100 per cent smoke damage and 10 per cent fire damage.

Now fire chiefs have warned to people to switch off electrical appliances when they are not being used.

This particularly applies to electric fans during the hot weather.

Station commander Ian Wilson said: “Always switch electrical appliances off when not in use unless they’re designed to stay on and electrical items should be well-maintained and meet appropriate safety standards.”

Firefighters spent two hours dealing with the Go Outdoors blaze and ventilating the building.

Crews from Great Holm, Broughton, Bletchley, Newport Pagnell and Buckingham attended, along with the Operational Support Unit from Broughton and an Incident Command Unit.

They used an angle grinder, six sets of breathing apparatus, three main jets and a thermal imaging camera.

The turntable ladder was used to open skylights, and PPV fans were used to assist with ventilation.