Former Aspley Guise rector Alan Freeman died on July 17 at the age of 87.
Born at the railway station in Lamport, Northamptonshire (where his father was Station Master) on October 1, 1927, Alan was the third child of Samuel and Annie Freeman.
In 1960 Alan was appointed as Rector of St Botolph, Aspley Guise in 1960, staying there until 1967.
During his time in Aspley Guise, Alan’s sons Mark and David attended the local Primary school and his daughter Barbara attended Ridgmont Primary School.
After three years as Rural Dean in Fleet he took the deanery of Ampthill from 1970 to 1975.
Following National Service he trained for the ministry at Salisbury Theological College from 1950, and was ordained as a deacon on June 8, 1952.He married Margot Cliffe in1952.
In 1974 Alan was appointed an Honorary Canon of St Alban’s Cathedral and Abbey Church. And he was elected a member of the General Synod during the 1970s and served as chairman of the House of Clergy in the St Albans Diocesan Synod.
Alan retired to Leighton Buzzard in 1992, becoming a Canon Emeritus of the Cathedral, and involved himself with the ministry of All Saints, becoming a regular member of the ministry team.
His Requiem took place at All Saints on July 31.
Alan is survived by his children Mark, David and Barbara and their families. His wife of 56 years, Margot, died in 2008. His ashes will be interred at St John’s Boxmoor, alongside Margot.