Lightning fight back to record back-to-back weekend wins

editorial image

MK LIGHTNING came back from two goals down to survive a late Bracknell Bees onslaught and complete their first four-point weekend of the season with a 4-3 win at The Hive on Sunday night.

After a 4-2 victory at Planet Ice 24 hours earlier, it took just 38 seconds for Bees to sting the visitors when Shaun Thompson put Martin Masa on a break away to beat goalie Stephen Wall.

Nick Poole’s men were in trouble when Leigh Jamieson was penalised for holding – this time it was Masa who set up the goal when he supplied Marcel Petran on the blue line for a powerplay goal at 7mins 44secs.

Then came Lightning’s fightback with Poole putting captain Adam Carr clear for a shot which went over goalie Tom Annetts’ glove on 16mins 38secs.

The city outfit bagged their second short handed goal of the weekend after Jamieson again found himself in the sin bin, and this time it was Carr who was provider for Poole at 30mins 53secs to put the two sides level.

By then Lightning had the momentum and they edged in front with a harmless looking shot from Michael Farn, unassisted, on 35mins 51secs.

If Bees had ideas of a quick goal in the third session they were rudely wrecked when Blaz Emersic passed to Nick Chinn to make it 4-2 just 43secs after face off.

Masa from Lukas Smital and Rob Lamey gave Bees hope with their third 10 and a half minutes from time. And two minutes later Masa had a ‘goal’ washed out for offside – his protests, together with those of Smital, earned both 10 minute misconduct penalties.

Thompson also had a ‘goal’ disallowed as Lightning held on to the lead to the buzzer.

The previous evening it was Lightning who had most of the play early in the game – almost inevitably so much pressure without scoring meant it was almost inevitable that it would be Bees who were first to strike.

They did so when Smital was given too much space to turn and shoot unassisted past goalie Alex Mettam on 9kmins 11secs.

When Ross Bowers was penalised for boarding in the 13th minute, it was Lightning who went on the offensive instead of trying to defend the short-handed spell in their own half. Their efforts were rewarded when Adam Brittle shot through Annetts` legs to equalise at 14mins 9secs.

Another penalty on Bowers seemed to spark a battle between Grant McPherson and Bees James Galazzi. Although it was the MK man who landed more punches, the fight petered out with both given four minutes for roughing.

Both Bowers and McPherson were involved when the hosts went in front after 25mins 4secs – the Scot went down in front of the Bees goal but got the puck back to Bowers who shot home with Annetts possibly unsighted.

Mettam had a slice of misfortune when Bees equalised with Scott Spearing’s shot going in via the narrowest of gaps off the right pipe after 33mins 51secs.

But Lightning ended the period ahead thanks to a defensive error which allowed Jamieson to shoot in at the right hand side 53 seconds from the break.

The points were finally settled on 53mins 1sec when Adam Calder was provider for Emersic to find a gap behind Annetts for Lightning’s fourth goal.