Man suffers burns after candle fire

Bucks Fire
Bucks Fire
Share this article

Firefighters have renewed their plea for people to be careful with candles after a man was injured on Friday night.

He suffered burns to his hands after trying to put out a fire caused by tea light candles in his living room.

Two crews from Great Holm were called to the incident in Turneys Drive, Wolverton Mill, at 10.16pm.

The man had fallen asleep after placing about 15 tea light candles on a piece of cardboard on a coffee table.

Watch Manager Lee Bloom from Great Holm Fire Station said: “What was even more worrying was that there were no smoke alarms in his home.”

Firefighters used a fan to clear the smoke, and fitted smoke alarms before leaving.

It’s the second time in a week that firefighters in Milton Keynes have been called to a fire caused by tea light candles burning out of control. On Friday 9 December, a fire started in a flat in Witan Gate East, Central Milton Keynes, after the occupant left a candle unattended on a coffee table.