MIDDAY UPDATE: Dog rescued but two cats die in Milton Keynes house fire

Kitchen fire at a house in Harley Drive, Walton, Milton Keynes
Kitchen fire at a house in Harley Drive, Walton, Milton Keynes

Two cats died in a house fire in Milton Keynes this morning, although a dog in the property was rescued by firefighters.

Firefighters were called to the property in Harley Drive, Walton, at 9.20am and were confronted with a kitchen fire in the semi-detached house.

No Caption ABCDE PNL-140417-121400001

No Caption ABCDE PNL-140417-121400001

A crew from Broughton and one from Newport Pagnell attended the incident which left the kitchen ‘50 per cent damaged’ following the blaze while the rest of the house was heavily smoke-damaged.

Watch Manager Kevin Bird said crews arrived to find smoke coming out of all windows. They forced their way into property as owners were out.

A Staffordshire Bull Terrier was rescued by the firefighters from the upstairs of the property.

The owners said they were too upset to talk at the moment, but friends say they are “devastated” by what has happened.

Watch Manager Kevin Bird told the Citizen: “We were called to a domestic property fire at 9.27am. There was smoke coming from the windows, front and back.

“The owner wasn’t in at the time so we forced entry into the property and quickly identified a kitchen fire.

“Crews went in there with a hose, distinguished the fire and thoroughly searched the property.

“We rescued a dog after the crew found it upstairs in a bedroom. They brought it out and passed it onto the owner.

“Until I have finished my investigations I can’t say one way the other how the fire started.

“The fire was contained in the kitchen, where it started, but the rest of the house suffered smoke damage.

“The whole house has been severely damaged by smoke.”

The fire was out ten minutes after firefighters arrived at the scene, but they left just before 12pm when a thorough search the property had been carried out.