A coroner today blamed neglect for the death of a five-year-old boy days after he was admitted to hospital with breathing difficulties.
Leicester coroner Donald Coutts-Wood said Harry Mould, from Greenleys died of natural causes.
But he said neglect was a contributory factor and accused Milton Keynes Hospital of a “gross failure to provide basic medical attention to Harry”.
Harry was admitted to Milton Keynes Hospital with breathing difficulties on March 26, 2009. He was later transferred to Leicester Royal Infirmary but died on March 31.
His family, who have been waiting for more than two years for the inquest to resume, claim he was not checked regularly by staff at Milton Keynes.
Today, at the end of a two-week inquest, the coroner said: “For some time prior to, but certainly in the period between approximately 8.30pm and 9.35pm on March 27, 2009, at Milton Keynes Hospital, Harry was not receiving all the appropriate observations and care that he required.
“It is at this time he sustains the hypoxic insult (oxygen deprivation) that results in his death and there was a gross failure to provide basic medical attention to Harry.”