Murder probe into OAP death

Tragic find: Police discovered the body of Mrs Elizabeth Proudfoot at her home in Stony Stratford
Tragic find: Police discovered the body of Mrs Elizabeth Proudfoot at her home in Stony Stratford

The death of an 82-year-old “recluse” has sparked a 
murder investigation after her body was found at home.

Elizabeth Proudfoot was married to the late Wilfred Proudfoot a city Labour Party stalwart.

Police were called to the widow’s Stony Stratford home shortly after midday on 
Tuesday and found the body.

Four hours later a 48-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder. He is understood to have known the victim.

It is not yet known how Mrs Proudfoot died. She is 
believed to have suffered from a form of dementia and 
rarely left her Latimer 
bungalow since the death of her husband in 2008. The 
couple have been described by Labour Party friends this week as “salt of the earth”, hard-working, honest people.

“Elizabeth and Wilf were both members of the Milton Keynes Labour Party for many years and were a lovely couple.

“They were always ready to help with jobs such as 
stuffing envelopes during election campaigns.

“Wilf worked at Wolverton Works and was a stalwart with the NUR. They were just a thoroughly decent family.”

At the time of going to press, police were still 
questioning the suspect.

A post-mortem examination will now take place and officers are conducting door-to-door enquiries.

Shocked neighbours said Mrs Proudfoot had been 
reclusive since Wilfred died.

One neighbour said: “Elizabeth was a very small lady and she seemed confused a lot of the time. I’m not sure if she was ill but she hardly ever left the home. I rarely saw anybody coming in or out of that house, especially since her husband died a few years ago.

“It’s all so sad – she was an innocent old lady and she didn’t deserve to die.”

Another neighbour said: “They always kept themselves to themselves, and I haven’t seen Elizabeth for years.

“She used to drive past and her head barely came above the steering wheel.

“They were always very nice though. Everyone around here is completely shocked by what had happened – it’s just terrible.”

Police officers have been conducting house-to-house enquiries in the area, while 
offering reassurance to the community that this is an 
“isolated incident”.