Murder-suicide: Killer jumped in front of train after murdering Milton Keynes lover

The killer of a Milton Keynes mum found murdered in a hotel room confessed the crime to his sister before committing suicide, an inquest heard.

As Serena Orange, 42, lay dead at a Premier Inn her lover Darren Ellis, 39, headed towards his hometown of Nuneaton intent on taking his own life.

He used Serena’s mobile phone to call his sister Joanne Holland to admit he had killed her and that he now planned to kill himself too.

The pair, who had been in a relationship for a few months, had returned to the Kempston hotel with friends after a wedding reception nearby where Orange and Ellis took cocaine and continued drinking until the early hours of the morning, the inquest heard.

But friends Natalie Abrahams and Paul Aldridge later told police they noticed Mr Ellis become “very agitated” as it became clear he wanted to spend “quality time” with Serena alone.

Miss Orange was said to be in a good mood and wanted to keep socialising. But at around 2am, Mr Ellis told the couple to leave.

It was then, police believe, there was “some disagreement” between the pair - despite Mr Ellis not leaving the hotel until 7.30am on September 13.

Half an hour later, he called his sister who then contacted Metropolitan Police to alert them to the situation.

The coroner was told police had been called four months earlier to intervene while the couple were holidaying in Portugal after allegations that Mr Ellis had used “physical violence” against Miss Orange.

Despite the MET, Thames Valley Police, Bedfordshire Police and Warwickshire Police all being involved in the search, Mr Ellis jumped in front of a train travelling at 100mph.

Today, at Ampthill’s Coroner’s Court, assistant coroner Martin Oldham delivered a suicide verdict.

He said: “I can say nothing to alleviate the suffering the families have undertaken.

“It is a tragedy of enormous concern.

“I know not what happened inside the room at the Premier Inn, but it is clear something of a drastic nature occurred.

“To the family I can say nothing but offer my condolences.”

The inquest of Serena Orange, also known as Serena Hickey, is scheduled for later this year.