PENSIONERS and people with disabilities have been given an early Christmas present thanks to Milton Keynes Council.
They will now be allowed to enjoy subsidised bus travel before 9.30am, a service that was withdrawn last May.
Leader of the council, Councillor Andrew Geary, made the announcement at a delegated council meeting last week that as of December 5, the service will once again come into effect.
It means pensioners and those with disabilities will only have to pay 50p per single journey before 9.30am, with travel provided free for the rest of the day.
Chairman of MK Bus Users Group, Peter Ballantyne, said: “I wanted to put on record our thanks to the administration at Milton Keynes Council on behalf of MK Bus Users Group, Milton Keynes pensioner groups, and all other pensioners for approving the early morning concessionary fares.”
Mr Geary said: “It proves we are delivering on what we pledged to do for the residents of Milton Keynes and to offer a real alternative to the car for our older and disabled citizens.”
Council cabinet member for Transport, Councillor John Bint, said: “I am sure older people and people with disabilities will be delighted with this early Christmas present to restore concessionary fares.
“We have listened to residents and have felt this concession was something that was much valued.”