Milton Keynes man wins payment from employees after his finger was severed in work accident

An MK worker who lost a finger in an accident with a saw has issued a pleas for companies to follow health and safety rules.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Lawyers have this week secured a payout for Bryan Puddefoot, who lives on Statonbury.

He was seriously injured at his workplace when a large piece of plastic sheeting got stuck in a band saw then freed, causing him to slip on a non-slip floor and lurch forward.

He was taken to hospital, where doctors battled to save his right index finger, but it sadly it later had to be amputated.

Bryan's finger was amputated below the knuckleBryan's finger was amputated below the knuckle
Bryan's finger was amputated below the knuckle

Following the incident Bryan instructed workplace accident lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate and help him access the specialist rehabilitation he requires.

The company, Richard Grant Mouldings Ltd in Leighton Buzzard, has now agreed an undisclosed sum in interim payments to pay for the rehab.

Bryan, who used to play in goal for for a local football team before the accident, is urging companies to always ensure they uphold health and safety standards.

Katie Lowe, the specialist workplace injury lawyer at Irwin Mitchell representing Bryan, said: “Through no fault of his own Bryan suffered serious injuries which will have a significant effect on his life.

Bryan todayBryan today
Bryan today

“While nothing can make up for what’s happened we are pleased to have secured Bryan access to the specialist rehabilitation and therapies he requires to maximise his recovery.

“A case of this nature is stark reminder of the need for businesses to uphold health and safety standards at all times. The safety of workers should always be a priority.”

Bryan had just started a night shift in October, 2019 when the incident happened. A large plastic sheet became stuck as he moved it through the band saw.

The floor was painted with paint and sand added when wet to make it non-slip. However, the paint had worn away where Bryan was standing and he could not reach the emergency stop buttons on the machine, said his lawyers.

As the plastic sheet came loose and went through the saw, he slipped on the floor and his finger was severed by the saw.

He underwent surgery to re-attach the finger and fit a wire to hold it in place. He spent two weeks in hospital where he received treatment, including leach therapy designed to improve blood flow to his finger and prevent infection.

However, he had his finger amputated below the knuckle three weeks later.

Bryan left the company after the incident. Following support from an occupational therapist,he has since been offered a new job working for a major online retailer.

He said: “The accident all happened so quickly. I remember seeing my glove finger fling backwards and I grabbed my right hand with my left and applied pressure.

“The doctors tried everything to try and save my finger and at first we were hopeful they would. But then it started turning black and I couldn’t move it."

He added: “To be told I needed to have the finger amputated was difficult to take. You don’t realise how much you use your index finger until it’s gone.

“I’ve had to relearn how to tie my shoelaces and how to hold a pen differently with my middle finger. I used to wet shave before the accident but now rely on an electric shave.

“Before the accident I was active and had played football for years but haven’t been able to since I lost my finger. I remain in a lot of pain. My right hand is a lot weaker than it was and because of the limited movement I have I couldn’t continue in my job."

Bryan added: "While nothing will change what has happened, I just hope that by speaking out businesses are reminded of the need to ensure health and safety is maintained.”