Warning after barbecue went "horribly wrong" in Milton Keynes

A Saturday night barbecue ended in disaster and caused houses to be evacuated on Coffee Hall.

Monday, 22nd July 2019, 3:24 pm
A picture of the fire

Sparks from the unattended BBQ set a nearby shed alight. The blaze spread and caused heat damage to doors and windows on two houses. Thankfully nobody was injured.

Coffee Hall neighbourhood police officers saw the thick black smoke coming from Button Grove while they were patrolling the estate.

"They decided to investigate. They located a barbecue that had gone horribly wrong," said a police spokesman.

A picture of the fire

The officers evacuated nearby houses as a precaution.

Firefighters were called at 9.16pm and used two hose reels, a haydrag and a thermal imaging camera.

"If you're planning a barbecue please stay safe," said the police spokesman.

Fire crews and police at the scene