Police have refused to reveal how the ‘rape’ of a teenage girl that shocked the city last week turned out to be nothing but a fake.
They cannot go into detail about why they suddenly called off their investigation into the attack, which allegedly happened in broad daylight in a busy car park at thecentre:mk.
They admit the report of rape came via a “third party” and there was doubt about where exactly it took place.
Police said on Wednesday last week that the 17-year-old victim was too traumatised to remember.
Now it appears the report may have been a total fabrication or a misunderstanding over a couple having a row.
Police had originally put out urgent appeals for witnesses and welcomed the Citizen putting the story on its front page. Officers, who had scoured CCTV footage of the area, released a statement saying no evidence was found for any offence taking place.
A police spokesman said: “We take all reports of this nature extremely seriously and conducted a thorough investigation, which included a public appeal for witnesses.
“The support of the media and members of the public during this investigation was much appreciated and we would like to thank them.
“It is important victims of offences of this nature feel confident reporting them and know we will investigate fully.”