Pregnant woman from Milton Keynes avoids jail after fracturing another woman's skull on night out

A heavily-pregnant mother who fractured a woman's skull with a nightclub wine glass has avoided the prospect of giving birth in prison.

Monday, 19th December 2016, 4:23 pm
Updated Thursday, 29th December 2016, 3:01 pm

Dressed in a white coat covering her sizeable bump, Cara Flatt admitted one count of assault causing actual bodily harm and was given a six-month sentence, suspended for two years.

Flatt, of Newton Leys attacked the woman in WonderWorld nightclub, in Marlborough Gate, Milton Keynes, at about 1.30am on January 30 and admitted one count of assault causing actual bodily harm at Milton Keynes Magistrates’ Court on November 22.

Prosecutor Richard Witcombe told how the 22-year-old had raised her glass above her head before smashing it down on a fellow reveller she incorrectly thought had assaulted her boyfriend, fracturing the woman’s skull.

He said: “At the time the complainant was not intitially aware she had been struck on the head but the incident itself had been witnessed by a number of people.

“Miss Flatt was dancing with a wine glass in her hand. She was said to have been looking angry and that was the moment before she smashed it down on the head of a woman who was also dancing.”

Her boyfriend did not appear in court as he was at home looking after the pair’s young son.

Defending, Laban Leake told a judge: “She is responsible for her four-year-old son and really doesn’t go out much at all.

“She is very sorry for the injury she caused and it really does seem to be very out of character for her.”

Although he made it clear that the custody threshold had been crossed, Judge Francis Sheridan insisted it was her upcoming child that saved her from a Christmas behind bars.

“What she doesn’t want on the next birth certificate is Bronzefield Prison,” he said.

“It would be tragic for a child to have prison on their birth certificate and to have to deal with that for the rest of their life.”

Turning to face her, he continued: “If you raise your glass to another person ever again you can expect immediate imprisonment.”

A curfew was put in place, grounding her at home between 6pm and 2am, and she was ordered to pay £500 in compensation to her victim.

“You have to be in your home from 6pm every night,” he added.

“It shouldn’t cause you any trouble though as you have your four-year-old son to look after.”