Registered blind? Then make sure you get your half-price TV licence


Anybody who is registered as blind (severely sight impaired), or lives with someone who is, should make sure they are claiming a 50 per cent reduction on the cost of their TV Licence.

Sight Concern Bedfordshire has teamed up with TV Licensing to promote the initiative.

There are more than 39,700 blind concessionary licences in force throughout the UK, including 164 in Milton Keynes.

Live-in carers or family members could also benefit from the concession, as once in place the licence covers any equipment used to watch or record television at the address, including televisions, laptops, tablets and games consoles. A blind concession licence costs £72.75 for colour and £24.50 for a black and white licence.

Martin Dyan, spokesman for TV Licensing, said: “Anyone who is registered as blind (severely sight-impaired), or lives with someone who is, can apply for a blind concession TV Licence which is half the price of a full fee licence.

“This will also cover anyone else living in the household. There are still many ways to pay for a concessionary licence- including online with a debit or credit card, monthly or quarterly direct debit, at any PayPoint outlet, and by phone or post.”

Susan Hoath, deputy chief executive at Sight Concern Bedfordshire, said: “Sight Concern Bedfordshire supports people with different levels of visual impairments across the county. Television is an important source of information and entertainment for many of our members, and we would urge anyone who is registered blind of severely sight-impaired to make sure they apply for the 50 per cent concession on the license fee.”

If you live with someone who is registered as blind (severely sight-impaired), and already have a full fee TV Licence in your name, you can transfer the licence to the name of the person who is severely sight-impaired. It’s easy to apply, either by filling in an online form at or by contacting TV Licensing on 0300 790 6112.

Those who use a digital box to produce sounds do not require a TV Licence, provided it cannot display TV programmes. Anyone who does not watch or record live TV on any device can let TV Licensing know by completing an online declaration at

Anyone with sight problems can get TV Licensing information by email or in Braille, large print or audio by calling 0300 555 0300. An audio podcast about the concession is available online at