Rugby: Bletchley flying high after another home win

editorial image

BLETCHLEY’S impressive home record continued against Marlow on Saturday, but only after producing a fantastic fightback from 22-0 down.

Eventually winning 45-22, Bletchley were left celebrating a third home win from five South West 1 East games this season, but in order to climb the table they will need to start winning away too – starting at Windsor this Saturday.

Bletchley V Marlow

Bletchley V Marlow

However, their excellent form at Manor Fields continues to see Bletchley exceed expectations this term – sat eighth in the standings with 20 points from nine games.

They made life difficult for themselves on Saturday though, allowing Marlow to run in four tries before they finally woke up and took the game by the scruff of the neck.

The away side opened the scoring inside two minutes, and with the clock still showing single digits, the south Bucks side had raced into an incredible 22-0 lead, converting just one of their four tries.

It took the hosts 20 minutes to get off the mark – Phil Harman slotting home a penalty to kick-start Bletchley’s dramatic revival.

Bletchley V Marlow

Bletchley V Marlow

Their first try followed a few minutes later when John Kirwan found space to power through, but was brought down just short of the line. The ball was recycled and Josh Sprules was the recipient of a George Coote pass to touch down. Harman added the extras and Bletchley were finally back in the match at 22-10.

However, it was by no means one-way traffic as Marlow continued to threaten, but vitally Bletchley were the scorers of the next try to get right back in contention, with Matt Nobes scoring and Harman converting.

And the comeback was complete before the break when Harman’s penalty attempt bounced back off the crossbar and Will Garrett was the first to react, managing to out-jump the Marlow defence to catch the ball and make an inside break. The ball was recycled quickly and Simon Pitfield was the man to go over, with Harman’s conversion giving the hosts a 24-22 half time lead.

Bletchley continued to improve after the break as Pitfield added his second and the home side’s fourth try as weather conditions continued to worsen – not bad enough for Harman to miss the conversion though.

And Harman got in on the act to score himself in the closing stages, touching down under the posts to make his next two points easy as Bletchley moved 38-22 ahead.

That wasn’t the end of it though as try number six was scored by Adam Dempsey and Harman converted to complete a quite remarkable turnaround for Bletchley who looked a beaten side after those first eight crazy minutes of the first half.

The challenge now is for Bletchley to take their good form away from home and pick up their first win on the road this season.