Woman given life sentence for attempting to murder her lesbian lover

Chooi Cheung
Chooi Cheung

A businesswoman who stabbed her lesbian lover as they lay in bed together was given a life sentence today.

Married mother-of-two Chooi Cheung first slashed her lover’s throat with a Jamie Oliver kitchen knife.

Then, as Chinese restaurant chef Leng Hie Tiong 38 tried to fight back, Cheung stabbed her in the face.

At Luton Crown Court, Cheung 53, was found guilty of a charge of attempting to murder her lover.

The court heard how during their tempestuous relationship Cheung had loaned Miss Tiong thousands of pounds.

Realising she wasn’t going to get a penny back and fearing Miss Tiong was about to return to Malaysia, she hatched a plot to murder her.

Passing sentence Judge Richard Foster told her “I am satisfied you were furious with her for using some of that money to help her family in Malaysia and you thought she was intent on moving there and abandoning you.”

He sentenced her to life imprisonment telling her the minimum term she must serve before she can even be considered for release by the parole board is 10 years.

The women had first met in 2007 when Miss Tiong went to work for Cheung at her restaurant in Dudley in the West Midlands.

Mrs Cheung was married but within months the pair had began a sexual relationship together.

In the years that followed Cheung loaned her lover around £38,000.

By December last year Ms Tiong who was known as August, was working as a chef for another employer at the Zen Garden in Central Milton Keynes.

Some time after 10pm on Wednesday, December 11, she cycled home from work to a house in Padstow Avenue on the Fishermead Estate, where she and other restaurant workers lived.

When she arrived she saw Chooi Cheung’s white BMW X3 parked outside a neighbour’s home. She said the other woman said she has got something to tell her. They went inside and talked before getting into to bed together in the bottom of a bunk bed with Ms Tiong next to the wall.

Aided by a Mandarin interpreter, she said: “I remember looking at the clock, it was 4.48. Julie told me to go back to sleep. I said to Julie: ‘We have been together for seven years. You feel I don’t love you.’ I said: ‘I feel I really love you.’ She did not reply. I turned around and went to sleep.”

Next she heard her lover get up and go to the toilet. She said she had come her back with a knife and attacked her. She added: “She was using a knife,

pressing it against my neck. At first I thought it was her fingernails. There was blood on my body and I screamed. Then the knife was in my mouth. I was screaming.”

The jury were told during the trial that the relationship between Ms Tiong and Cheung, was “volatile.”

Mrs Cheung lived in Birmingham with her husband Tony and their two children a son, in his mid 20s a 13-year-old daughter.

Prosecutor, David Bright said: “The defendant accused Ms Tiong of owing her a large sum of money - over £38,000.

She accused her of intending to return to Malaysia with paying it back.”

Mr Bright said she had brought the knife to Milton Keynes from her home in Birmingham as there were two others in the set that were found there.

In February this year he said the couple’s 13-year-old daughter recorded a conversation between Mr and Mrs Cheung which she passed on to her brother William, who then contacted the police. Mrs Cheung was heard to say: “Nobody will miss her’ and ‘It’s my word against hers.’

Chooi Cheung from Selly Wick Road, Selly Park Birmingham was found guilty of attempting to murder Miss Tiong on Thursday, December 12, 2013.